Brick Masonry in Williamsburg
Every time you back your car out of your garage, you might notice that your driveway pavers are not looking so great. Cracks are forming, some of the pavers are loose, and you know the damage is only going to get worse over time. Even the neighbors are commenting on how good your driveway used to look.
You realize that maybe the company you hired to do your driveway did not exactly do the best job. You know it is time for some new work with masonry contractors who will do the job correctly.
Batchelder & Collins is the Williamsburg area’s most trusted brick masonry team. Reach out to us for the right products you need for any brick or masonry job.
Trusted Brick Mason Suppliers in Williamsburg, Virginia, and the Surrounding Areas
Batchelder & Collins provides masonry and brickwork solutions in Williamsburg, Virginia, and the surrounding areas including Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, Gloucester, Yorktown, Lanexa, Toano, and Virginia Beach. Reach out to us for any projects involving brick repair, concrete repair, foundation repair, or stone veneer. We’ve got you covered with brick masonry that will be perfect for the job.
Brick Masonry Products for Landscaping Projects
Batchelder & Collins offers a variety of masonry that will improve the look of your home and as well as add resale value. Some of our top-notch products for services include:
- Hardscapes: Hardscapes can add beauty to your yard. Get the patio you always wanted or create a path that leads to your backyard garden. Bricks and pavers look good and keep your shoes mud-free.
- Retaining Brick Walls: If you have a large amount of sloping soil on your property or a very high mound of dirt, a brick retaining wall may be needed. High mounds of dirt have the possibility of falling or caving in which can be a hazard to you and your family. A retaining wall holds the soil firmly in place.
- Firepits: Firepits make outdoor gatherings warm and enjoyable on cool, crisp fall evenings. Batchelder & Collins has a variety of firepit options that can match your decor and add flair and style to it.
- Outdoor Kitchens: You love to grill and an outdoor kitchen has always been a dream of yours. Using quality brick and stonework is the perfect way to make an outdoor kitchen that looks great and lasts a long time.
Brick Pavers and Driveways Create Durable Walkways
Brick walkways and driveways are a terrific way to add style to your property. You want the walkway leading to your home to be elegant so that everyone walking up to your home can know that you take pride in the way your property looks.
Driveways benefit greatly from brick. They are durable and, if constructed correctly, can take the weight of your vehicle for years to come. You also do not have to worry about resealing the driveway every few years as you would with an asphalt driveway. And, of course, it looks so much better than blacktop.
Quality Work Begins with Quality Made Bricks
Quality is of the utmost importance when it comes to bricks. Inferior bricks are more likely to form cracks leading to structural failure than bricks made from high-quality materials. In order for bricks to be of high quality, they must be manufactured properly following a set procedure:
- Brick materials are ground and pulverized in a hammermill. The typical ingredient of a brick is clay.
- The materials are extruded, or mixed with water. Then the material is folded to make wet clay. The air is then removed and the material is compressed.
- The brick material is chamfered or indented.
- The bricks receive a sand coating.
- The bricks are dried completely to remove any moisture that is present. This is important since any remaining moisture may result in a cracked brick.
- The bricks are fired at high temperatures in a kiln.
- The bricks are set, packaged, and shipped.
These steps, if followed precisely along with careful quality control, result in a high-quality brick that is long-lasting and durable.
Common Types of Brick Homeowners Can Choose from for Home Improvement Needs
Of all bricks that are manufactured, these are the ones most commonly used by homeowners:
- Common Clay Brick: Also called burnt clay bricks, these are the most frequently used bricks in construction. They are used in foundations, walls, and columns among other purposes. Mortaring these bricks together helps bond them to increase their strength, insulation, and water resistance.
- Common Clay: These are the bricks of the olden days and are made with a mixture that is poured into molds that are then dried by the sun. They are good for aesthetic value but should not be used for load-bearing support or for foundations.
- Concrete Paving Bricks: Made from concrete, these bricks are typically used as pavers or the bricks you see in patios, driveways, and walkways. Because the concrete can be poured into custom molds, the bricks can come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
- Fire Brick: Also called refractory bricks, they are made with fireclay which can withstand very high temperatures. They are typically used in chimneys, fireplaces, and firepits, gaining their namesake of firebrick.
- Thin Brick: Also known as brick veneer, it‘s used on exterior walls. In appearance, it looks like traditional brick but the price is more affordable. On the other hand, you sacrifice the structural integrity and durability that comes with real brick construction.
Brick and Concrete Contractors Trust Batchelder & Collins to Supply Their Bricks
Batchelder & Collins has been offering its customers quality masonry and concrete work since 1903. We are the local pros serving Norfolk and Williamsburg. If you are looking for any kind of masonry, concrete, or brick work for your property, call us today at 757-625-2506 or contact us through our online form. We’re ready to guide you every step of the way in finding masonry solutions that work for you.